October 16, 2017 ACFRI Minutes
October 16, 2017 ACFRI Minutes
- Meeting called to order at 6:15 PM. Meeting conducted at the Guild Brewery, 461 Main Street, Pawtucket, RI
- 16 People in attendance: Linda & Husband, Gloria & Husband, Agnieszka Richard, Paul Martin, Ken Watts, Dan Van Etten, Ray, Jeanette, Heather Singleton, Jim Papa, Rolando, Dick Wood, Russ Zito and Don Mead
- Isle Brewers Guild Presentation and Tasting conducted by Jody. Detailed information can found on their web site http://islebrewers.com/
- Secretary’s report none
- Treasurer’s report none
- 2017 joint Lobster Boil with Hope and Main netted $2,683.00 in Scholarship funds
- 2017 joint New England BBQ Fest netted $1,200.00 in Scholarship funds
- RI Hospitality Association sponsoring a fundraising event at Twin Rivers Casino on November 29, 2017
- Old Business:
- Rolando acknowledged the great participation during the last two fundraising events, 2nd Annual Lobster Boil and the New England BBQ Fest.
- New Business:
- Rolando opened the meeting by first acknowledging and applauding our previous President, Dan Van Etten for his professional and passionate leadership in bringing our chapter to its current level of membership, significantly expanding our professional industry partners, validating our chapter as a 501 c 3 non-profit organization, collaborating with the Epicurean Chapter Boston and Hope and Main in two major fundraising events, and providing a positive influence to our Culinary Community.
- As our new President, Rolando shared his vision of our Chapter’s future and potential. To generate new membership, attempting to bridge the gap between young and old. Encouraging our membership to pursue certification at all levels, by forming a mentoring program for certification candidates. Promote member Wellness, inspiring a quality family/professional balance. Establishing new industry partnerships, such as with the RI Hospitality Association.
- Empowering our membership to actively enhance our Chapter’s committees. Desire to consistently interact with our local communities, emphasizing the “Chef and Child Program” and other programs. Jeanette stated that we have an opportunity to collaborate with the “Boys and Girl Clubs”, the YMCA and the “Young Chefs Club”.
- Ken announced that the certification practical exam will be held on
April 21, 2018, location TBD. Gloria advised members who take the written exam to double check your answers. She stated that in the past, exam answers were discovered to be incorrect.
- Linda announced the High School competition, “Pro Start” will be held April 27-29, 2018. Linda also mentioned that the NRA is seeking members to judge National skills competition, “Revolving Door”. Josh Bermann is affiliated with this competition and says it is an extremely popular event for the young Culinarians.
- Ken suggested that the chapter consider using a new innovative E-mail communications platform, “Data Lists”. It can accommodate up to 287 lists, lists can be split and used separately, and it is much easier to use. There is a $20.00 monthly charge to use this program. Linda expressed her concern about using this new program and assigning only one person to be the custodian in using it on the chapter’s behalf. Linda also stated that she forwarded information to Ken, who in turn pass it on to our membership. However, the information Linda forwarded to Ken was never disseminated to the chapter’s membership. Ray motioned to approve the use of the communications platform at a $20.00 monthly charge. Gloria seconded the motion. And the present membership were all in favor.
- Dan asked about if arrangements are in place for our Chapter’s up-coming Holiday party. Rolando stated that no definite plans have been made yet, but we have been holding our Holiday party at “Jackie’s Galaxie” in years past. Tom Papa suggested that the party can be held at IGGY’s on Oakland Beach in Warwick however, he needed to coordinate dates with the owner as soon as possible.
- RI State Food Safety Conference October 18, 2017
- Next Meeting: TBD
- Upcoming meetings: Not yet published
- Motion to Adjourn the meeting at 7:20 PM by Gloria, Agnieszka seconded the motion.